October 20, 2011

5 healthy meals I am SO glad my kid will eat!

 on the minds of mothers everywhere:
how can I stuff healthy food stuffs into my kid?

I am grateful that my girl will eat all these super healthy dishes... 
in some the health is hidden and some not so much.


1.  Chili.   
What an excellent way to pack so much protein into a delicious meal!




my secret chili ingredients include:  sweet potato,  agave nectar, and a little bit of dark chocolate!!  yes sir. try it. 
can easily be vegan with a little tweaking.

 
This kid LOves it!




















2.  Chocolate pudding made from: 
1 avocado,  
1 ripe banana,  
2 tbsp cocoa powder,  
1 tbsp maple syrup, 
a little milk (of any kind) or cream or yogurt 






3. Juiced Juice!

take the nutrition out of all these wonderful fresh veggies and fruit, place in one cup and...
YOU GET a Vampire out of the deal!!

 


 




lookit the wonderful rainbow of goodness








4.  Root Soups

cooked carrots, squash, or sweet potato. Sauteed onion and garlic. Blended up with Soup stock.  optional add cream.  sooo so good!





































5.  Macaroni/Noodles with cheese sauce 

This sauce consists of cooked, blended Giant white Beans, cream cheese, nutritional yeast, almond milk.  
I try to pack the goodness into her mac 'n cheese sauce!

Often I put pureed squash, butternut is the best... 
quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta.  Attie only likes elbows for some reason! 




















This kid is a Bean liker!

so, beans is number 6.  
Chick peas, black beans, Giant Whites... 
she eats em outta the pot/can! 




What are You glad your kid or partner will eat?

6 comments:

Christy said...

Liver - I grind it in my food processor, freeze it in icecube trays and then add it to every meal that has ground beef as the base - my kids (all 8 of them) know I do this and are just fine with it. Grown-ups that know I do this won't eat meat at my house -really. Wimps!

Danae said...

My kids favorite meal, by far, is Bean Burritos. If Attie loves beans she will love this.

Affordable, good for the planet and so healthy!

Beans for Burritos:
2 c dry pinto beans
1-2 onions
1-2 garlic cloves (I add way more!)
2-3 T cumin
2-3 T chili powder
1 t salt
dash of oregano
some epazote - optional (a Mexican herb that's supposed to make the beans more digestible - less gassy. But that's no fun, really.)

Soak beans overnight and discard soaking water (important for that less gassy state!!!).

Cover beans with new water. Add other ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer till done (skins crack open when you blow on beans. Can be well cooked as you're just going to mash 'em.)

Puree or mash beans. (I love using the immersion blender for this. You have great control over how pureed you get your beans. Lately I like puree with lumps of beans!!)

Smear bean puree onto tortillas. Roll them up. Bake a while adding grated cheese for the last few minutes to melt on the top.

Accessories: salsa, sour cream, chopped lettuce or my favorite, SPROUTS (or other greens), olives, chopped avocado, etc ..... anything you desire.

I usually serve it with some rice and/or corn.

I make a big pot of beans and make extra burritos to freeze. Awesome for having something you can just pull out in the morning for an easy supper. You can also freeze the puree if you don't have extra tortillas.

Now do it!!!

erin said...

Christy - liver, what a nutrient rich idea to sneak into things... i must admit, I don't like it much myself, so i'd have to trick me too!!

erin said...

Denae - That sounds like a grreat thing to have in the freezer. both the pre-made burritos and the bean mix!

Christy said...

Erin - I don't care for liver either but I promise mixing a little bit in with the hamburger is undetectable. And it is so full of nutrients.

erin said...

good to know! I am going to try it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...