August 2, 2012

Quick "How to Can" tips and borscht!


Its crunch time to prepare for baby. 

 I am due in 2 Days!!
whoa.

So made a big pot of borscht and canned it up.
cuz I don't want to be eating kraft dinner every day if I end up with a cesarian to heal from... 
that's another story. 






here is a link to my borsht recipe 
- this is beet borscht.


I enjoy canning things now that I get how it all works!
If you're scared of canning (like I was) and want some encouragement so you can finally try it, Here's a couple tips ( for pickles, jams and soups):

- Prep the thing to be canned and have it hot for the canning process
- wash the jars/lids, then put em in boiling water bath to sterilize for at least 10 minutes.
(Don't have to bring out the massive canner every time...  can just use your largest cooking pot)

- Having these three items will make the job more enjoyable and your fingers less burnt!!

                     funnel                                        hot jar lifter                                   magnetic lid lifter

- you can buy them in a kit

- so then, use your jar/lid  lifter to get the sterilized jars out of the boiling water bath
- empty jar of water, put the funnel on top and scoop the special sauce into the jar
- with a clean rag, wipe the rim and place the lid on top
- to be sure you will hear all those lids pop, "process" the full, lidded jars in the boiling water for 10 minutes 
*certain items must be processed for longer like canned tomatoes which you basically cook inside the jar.  Look at a canning recipe for your project, these are just basics.


 


This is my Gramma Dorothy with her new baby.


My Gramma Margaret talks about canning.
" I used to can Everything. Meat, Rhubarb, fruit, everything from the garden...
After we got married and then we could afford jars...  "

Imagine not being able to afford jars. 

I am grateful!


Happy canning! 




any tips/stories to share?







3 comments:

Emily said...

I've been keeping an eye out for news... I really hope that a Caesarian isn't the way it all goes... but if it is, it is. I'm sending LOTS of energy your way. I hoped with the full moon this week that it would trigger things off :) The colour of the borscht is fantastic, another reason why I love beetroot!!

Danielle said...

I found you only recently, but feel connected and so I am wishing you a safe and glorious birth. I'll be thinking lots of good thoughts for you! ~Danielle

erin said...

aaaw, thanks ladies! I'm happy to be receiving good thoughts and energy. I feel pretty good about this one. :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...